Shrimp Fat Fried Rice

by - November 12, 2012


RIMG3159
I am a big seafood fan, and I do love Red heartshrimp and ,like many other foodies, shrimp head is the best part to me. It is finger-licking good and add tons of flavors to many Thai dishes: Tom YumShrimp Porridge,Pla Goong, etc. So whenever I chance upon fresh head-on shrimp here in Tokyo, I rarely let the opportunity to whip up something delicious slip by.  


The recipe I am going to share with you today is one of my favorite meals, ever: Shrimp Fat Fried Rice (Khao Pad Mun Goong, ข้าวผัดมันกุ้ง) . Truth be told, most of the recipes in this blog are my faves, but I can make this over and over again without getting sick of the stuff! Perhaps, I like this fried rice so much because it 's so shrimpy and naturally flavorful.   

Whenever I fire up this fried rice, I always use overnight long grain rice and I highly suggest you to do so.  The overnight (or cooked earlier) rice has a chance to dry out a bit in the fridge. The heat and the seasoning will re-steam and hydrate it. If you try to use freshly cooked rice, you will end up with very soggy and clumpy fried rice like a downpour rained down on your wok. 

Did I mention yet, I  used very little seasoning and didn't add any bit of vegetable in my fried rice as I didn't  want to dilute its prawny flavour. So to make a balanced meal, you can serve  it with some fresh vegetable or a bowl of refreshing salad.  I am sure you will love it. 

Below is my Shrimp Fat Fried Rice Recipe. 

Ingredients
Yields : 1 serving Clock: 25 minutes 

170 grams overnight cooked rice (I used Jasmine rice.)
120 grams shrimp 
1/2 tablespoon chopped Thai garlic 
2 tablespoon vegetable oil 
1/2 tablespoon light soy sauce
a pinch of salt 

2 grilled shrimp, chilies, a lime wedge for serving 
Preparation 
1. Prepare the shrimp fat by separating the heads from the body. Squeeze as much as possible orange shrimp fat from the heads. Set aside. 
2. Shell, devein and cut shrimp into small pieces.  

RIMG3111RIMG3117
3. Heat up the wok with an oil. Add in garlic. Stir for 10 seconds. Add in shrimp.
RIMG3122RIMG3123
4. When the shrimp turns pink, add in shrimp fat. Stir to combine. Add in rice, do few quick stirs. Season with salt and soy sauce. Serve hot with grilled shrimp, chilies and a lime wedge.  
RIMG3124RIMG3125
RIMG3157

You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. Interesting recipe. Wow! I've never thought that shrimps have fat but make the rice colorful and pretty. Wonderful dish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Nippon Nin
    Thank you for your kind comment.

    ReplyDelete